Photo credit: Kon Karampelas
Two weeks ago, we hosted our first virtual webinar “Leveraging the Power Of TikTok With Influencers”. In today’s blog post, we would like to share the frequently asked questions raised during the session.
1. How can I find the right influencer with the right target group – if TikTok does not provide detailed demographics?
TikTok itself only provides information about certain demographics of the followers of an influencer like gender and country. So if a brand is looking for suitable influencers based on quantitative factors like a specific followership that fits the brand’s target group, it’s definitely helpful to use a platform like Collabary. Using our Creator Discovery, brands are able to choose out of a huge set of filters that are either considering the influencers’ data and their followers’ demographics.
On the other hand, brands should also consider qualitative factors like current trends on TikTok. Thus they need to be active themselves on the short-form video platform to make sure to be aware of trending sounds, songs, and hashtags. By following these trends, brands could also manage to identify suitable influencers on TikTok – but still, it requires a lot of research and effort.
2. What about music rights within collaborations?
When brands do paid formats with TikTok directly, they’re indeed very limited by choosing songs and sounds that they’re allowed to use. But when it comes to organic content in general we suggest using the songs out of the TikTok library since these ones are licensed with a global music agency.
Expert tip: Let the content creator chose a suitable song – as they spend a lot of time on the app and most often know best what’s trending and what their followers would like to see and hear.
3. What type of data and information do brands need to look into during the planning phase of a TikTok campaign with influencers?
Besides having a look at the number of followers overall and their demographics, video views are the most important key performance indicator (KPI) on TikTok. Because of that, we recommend taking the recent 7 to 10 videos into consideration for the average number of video views.
Expert tip: Since many creators are posting a lot on TikTok like on a daily basis or even several videos per day, the video views can differ a lot. That’s why we recommend having a look at the latest videos only.
Based on the video views, we calculate the cost per mille (CPM) – this is especially relevant when thinking about a brand’s budget for a campaign or as a performance indicator afterwards. Last but not least, it’s nice to know as well how many videos the selected influencer has on his/her TikTok profile that went viral.
4. How much do influencers on TikTok charge for a video?
This depends on many factors – like on Instagram, influencers can take their reach or engagement rate into consideration for their pricing. On TikTok, they additionally have the video views to look at. Even though the price differs a lot, there’s still room for negotiation.
5. How long can the video captions on TikTok be?
The word count for TikTok video captions is limited and so are the possibilities. Besides giving you space for around 100 characters max – focus on the key elements and include 4 to 5 hashtags max.
Brands need to know as well that once they’ve uploaded a video, there’s no opportunity to change or edit the video caption. Even though you should give the influencer enough creative freedom to create the content, double-check the video caption before sharing the post.
Expert tip: It’s quite common that influencers share some additional information in the comment section (top comment) and by doing this they’re able to provide their followers with even more information than it’s possible in the caption.
6. What about the CPM? Is it similar to Instagram?
The CPM for TikTok and for Instagram are both calculated based on the number of followers. The CPM per follower is lower than for Instagram. However, to calculate the pricing for TikTokers, it is also important to look at the number of views per video. An influencer with a rather small follower base but videos reaching an impressive number of views will ask for a higher price than the CPM per follower. Especially when thinking about TikTok, video views can easily outrage the number of followers and thus vary a lot.
7. Is it recommended to use the hashtag “#foryou” to get more views?
As we mentioned, the space in the video captions is very limited, thus brands should always think about the most important information they need to include in there first. TikTok even says that using “For You” page related hashtags is not helping to get published on there and furthermore, recommends using only 4 to 5 hashtags max – otherwise, the video could be marked as spam.
8. How can a brand go viral with its content?
It’s hard to really predict what kind of videos will go viral on TikTok but from our expertise, here are some handy tips:
• Comedy and fun videos kind of always perform – people on TikTok want to be entertained, give them what they want by implementing your brand’s or campaign’s message in an authentic way.
• Be active on the platform yourself – that’s the only way how you can identify certain trends. Be it songs, sounds, hashtags, or dances.
• Hop on trends and don’t think about them being already outdated – for sure it’s always good to adapt trends fast but your videos can go viral any day.
• Be bold and try to let go of your usual content style – TikTok and its community are quite different, try to be different on there as well.
• Trust the creative skills of Tiktokers – they know the platform and they know best what works for their audiences.
TikTok videos can go viral any day!Katharina Altinok, Collabary by Zalando Markering Services
9. Can TikTok be used as a performance channel?
TikTok itself offers some opportunities for paid advertising but in our opinion, brands can use their own reach and the uncountable possibilities they have with influencers that we recommend working with organic content instead.
Actually, one of the most asked and most liked questions in our webinar was if it’s possible to test the Collabary platform and we’re happy to say yes, it is 🙂 If you want to get more information on how we exactly can support you, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Last but not least, if you haven’t had the chance to join our live streaming, you can watch the recording of our webinar here.